Wednesday 26 January 2011

One Stop Shop Stop

Hi there! My name is Darren Cooper and when they let me out of my box, (which does happen occasionally!) I like nothing better than the freedom of the open road, the wind in my hair and the smell of pleather in my nostrils.


One Stop Shop Stop 


I am fully aware that I am playing up to homosexual stereotypes here (he says whilst typing away listening to Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall) - but to say that I just adore a spot of shopping would be something of an understatement. So when the chance to zoom up to discover the retail possibilities in Manchester came up, well, I shrieked with joy, grabbed my plastic and hailed a Hackney carriage straight to Euston station - and don't spare the horses!


I've of course been to Manchester before, and the shopping here has an excellent combination of choice and scope and all concentrated in an easily manageable area. I'm normally used to covering vast distances during my London shopping trips, migrations of epic proportions (that wouldn't be out of place on a BBC documentary about the Serengeti) to get from one side of town to the other. Thankfully Manchester's central shopping district covers an area that is easily manageable on foot and so negates the mandatory fights through crowded underground stations.


I've decided to hit the ground running so to speak, and dive straight into the Northern Quarter from Piccadilly Station. A five minute walk after disembarking from the train and I find myself immersed in the centre of Manchester's most bohemian and fashionable area.


Manchester Design Centre
Northern Quarter
It's an overused term, 'bohemian' isn't it - but I think that this area of Manchester can certainly do the adjective justice. The atmosphere here is definitely hip, yet it is still a little rough around the edges, which actually only adds to its charm. The shops here are all independent boutiques where local arty, trendy types browse for original clothing and other bits and pieces. 

If you are into vintage, retro classics, quirky furnishings, or a printed t-shirt that you wont see on the high street then this is the place to find them.

There's a whole raft of vintage shops here that are re-inventing past trends for those fashion forward enough to carry them off. Personally I'm more comfortable in contemporary brands that haven't made it mainstream, yet - and the
Thomas Street Post Office, Oi Polloi and Afflecks definitely do not disappoint in this regard.



As a fashionista I also enjoy a quick spin through the Tib Street Fashion Market. This market was set up to support up and coming designers from Manchester and gives them a space to sell their wares in the city centre. The result is a dazzling display of quirky stalls selling clothes, lingerie, bags, purses, hats and jewellery.

If the Northern Quarter is the champion of the independent store, then the
Arndale Centre, which is just around the corner, in the very centre of the city is a homage to the high street. This is Manchester's largest shopping centre, only to be outdone in size by the lavish Trafford Centre five miles outside the city. No time for the Trafford Centre on this trip though, so I guess I will just have to make do with the 240 shops at the Arndale.

Just outside the Arndale is Market Street, Manchester's busiest and most central shopping thoroughfare. Although this is the main shopping artery that runs through the city it's also pedestrianised which of course means no traffic. For a serial shopper like me this is fantastic, and could even be a lifesaver in my case. 

When something sparkly catches my eye in a shop window on the opposite side of the street my natural reaction is to run towards it - like a dog chasing a cat - an involuntary action, I just can't help myself. Thankfully I can indulge my shopping urges in Manchester without fear of being turned into road-kill, a gauntlet I run on a daily basis in London.



Selfridges
There are two more of my favourite shopping passions that I can indulge here far more easily than at home also, Harvey Nichols and Selfridges. Three different tube lines and an eternity of nervous anticipation usually separate me from my two favourite shopping outlets, in Manchester they are right opposite each other on New Cathedral Street (thankfully also pedestrianised!)

These two stores are not the only concessions, substantial though they are to designer brands on Manchester's shopping scene.

A walk down New Cathedral Street reveals a host of other top name brands including Burberry, Louis Vuitton and Hugo Boss which all have flagship stores here. 

This route also sees me meander through St Anne's Square and takes me down to the equally refined shopping on King Street.

The gorgeous Georgian buildings along King Street used to house Manchester's professionals classes, now they house Vivienne Westwood, Jaeger and Tommy Hillfiger  for Manchester's eager shoppers.

It's getting a little late now and even a hard-core shopper like me is feeling a little exhausted. Not too tired though for one last stop,
The Avenue which is just off Deansgate in the Spinningfields area of the city. This is Manchester's newest retail area and is set amongst the ultra modern buildings and landscaped courtyards in this area.

This brand spanking development has attracted some pretty big businesses to the office space in this area and the big brands weren't far behind. Emporio Armani, Mulberry, D&G and some very slick suits at Brooks Brothers soon perk me up again for some more serious browsing. 

At last though even I have to take a break and what better place than the Alchemist Bar with its extensive cocktail list. I eventually plump for the very exotic sounding passion fruit meringue martini to wet my whistle while I review all my new purchases!


Manchester is only 2 hours and 7 minutes from London. 


Fly to Manchester in 60 minutes from London with British Airways  and BMI


For even more information visit the official Visit Manchester LGBT website.

No comments:

Post a Comment